Thursday, July 17, 2008

Swallow Behavior
Maggie P. reminded me of some great bird behavior we witnessed when paddling in Whalebone Cove. We watched as a group of about five or six Tree Swallows meandered above the water, up about 15 to 20 feet. They were carrying something in their beaks, small and white, and dropping it, then catching it before it hit the water, flying back up and then dropping it again, and repeating the whole thing many times. At first I thought it to be a moth that they were dropping, but it turned out to be swan feathers, many of which were floating on the water's surface from a recently passing swan. They were "playing" with the feathers, perhaps a way of practice for retrieving insects while on the wing.

I love fun behaviors like this! I will soon have to tell you about the berry dance I have seen Cedar Waxwing pairs do.


No comments: