Friday, November 20, 2009

Working in the Office
It's been four weeks back in the office since returning from Brazil and I am absolutely itching to get out and travel again; too many hours in front of the computer. I finished putting together my presentation on my "Amazing Year of Travel" and now hope to be taking that to the road and helping Connecticut Audubon promote its programs. If you know of any group that would like a speaker, please be in touch with me or pass my contact info on.

Also, I've been working on the final touches for our annual January trip to Arkansas and the land of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Don't bother asking if I have seen one! I couldn't tell you if I had, as that would be the ticket to ending any sort of credibility I might have as a bird guide. There are far too many non-believers out there to risk one's reputation (no matter how meager it may be). If I get a photograph of one...then that is a different story and I will see you on the lecture circuit! This year, our group will be visiting with Gene Sparling, the kayaker who had the 2004 Ivorybill sighting that stirred the whole mystery up into a swirling wave. I've met him in the past, talked with him at length about his sighting, and enjoyed his kind spirit. I look forward to seeing him again. This past June, I met Tim Gallager, author of The Grail Bird, at his Cornell office. I am certain that his own Ivorybill sighting has changed his life to a point where it will never be quite the same. I have now talked with eight different people who have seen the Ivorybill. Seeing it... is it a curse or great luck? Not sure.

No comments: